Friday, October 01, 2004

More Debates

The scene: Me, lowly grad student fresh from my 6th? cup of coffee and a three hour seminar on multilinear cultural evolution , waitin' for a train at the Pizzaria Uno bar at Union station. I am exhausted and reeeelly want to watch the debates. The affable chap behind the bar brings me a crappy, albeit giant, beer and I settle in to see what's going on. I notice pretty quick that all of the people in the bar are TALKING - Loud. Not about the debate, but about BULLSHIT! Me and the guy sitting next to me are the only ones watching. ARE YOU EFFIN' KIDDING ME?

I guess I had some romantic vision of being stuck at a train station bar with a bunch of other bedraggled travelers, huddled around the TV, cheering for their heroes, booing their adversaries and engaged in healthy discourse. No Fucking way. I could't hear the effin' debate over all of the yuppies talking to their sweeties on their cell phones. Look - if Bush wins the effin' election and we all get suicide bombed, blame those fuckers on their cell phones who couldn't be civically engaged enough to stop and listen to the most important ninety minutes of the most important presidential election campaign in 140 years. Fuck them. Fortunately, the Post has the whole thing on video.