Thursday, October 14, 2004

The Jitterbug With Foxy Judith, Wes And My Canadian Malt Liquor Hangover

Digby has a post about Wes Clark on Hannity. I don't have cable and barely get regular TV - parents were of the Garrison Keilor school on that, and it rubbed off pretty good - so I missed it. Anyone having access to clips/transcript, plz post in comments.

Back in SF I did have cable for a while, so I watched Fox a few times. My reaction was always "ARE YOU EFFIN' KIDDING ME?" How anyone could watch Hannity or O'Reilly or Hume without feeling like they'd just had their intelligence insulted was beyond me(later I realized that I was in what appeared at the time to be a small minority). They even treated Newt Gingrich as if something other than offal exited his mouth when he opened it. ARE YOU EFFIN' KIDDING ME? However, my heavy heart during BushCo Year One was made light any given sunday with Judith Reagan - a fragrant all grown (and wised) up Carrie Bradshaw from "Sex In The City" - bemoaning the loss of honor, strength and truth in American life, then turning around and having a long segment with Dick Morris.

Clark is the effin' man. My father had a good laugh at my expense when I told him I was involved in the Clark campaign. "You realize you've just thrown yourself into the campaign of a man slightly to the right of Eisenhower?" Well, yeah, but we live in Goldwater Times, so those distinctions don't make sense anymore. Clark is probably the smartest(if not the most cunning) man in our public life. Plus, he has the cred and the physical prowess to boot all these phony He-Men who make up the current administration and its admirers back to their momma's apron strings where they can whine and cry. It was like having Colonel Nick Fury(Steranko '69 version) running for president.

Now I'm sure some could accuse me of pulling a Sullivan here("Oh my he's so tough and hard it makes me just want to whip it out and jerk it whenever you say 'war on terr'!!!"), but they'd be wrong. First off, my girlfriend would be pretty pissed with me if she thought I'd gone gooey for Clark. Second, it's pretty damn rare that you get to engage in hero worship of a public figure whose hero status isn't completely a product of a marketing department. Third, if we're gonna be at war, I figured it'd probably be a good idea to have someone who actually ran a successful war in modern times, and understands the (OH NO!) nuance of fighting a war with non-state actors. You know, the whole "right man for the job" thing.

An aside: I got a letter from James Lee Whit and Associates yesterday. Evidently the effin' man works for them in their new Arkansas office. Good for him.