Friday, January 13, 2006

The Abridged Bush

The New York Times reported yesterday on President Bush's visit to New Orleans. I present here an abridged version, containing only quotes from the President, with all other reporting removed.

I do this with some trepidation, because I am violating one of my own tenets, one I violate daily. That tenet is not to satirize the Bush administation.

Bush is kryptonite to satire; his misdeeds, follies, and fumbles are so outrageous that you need only observe them. Any commentary is simply piling on--the hypocrisy, the feeble, arrogant rhetoric, and the cruelty are self-evident. The entire administration is such a circus that our clowns are no match for theirs.

Time spent making fun of George Bush is better spent on other things, such as the development of an intellectual framework from which to combat stateless terrorism and the proliferation of weapons of mass destruction. The War in Iraq is simply a tangible culmination of 20-year-old intellectual movement. It is tragically flawed, but I have not seen the opposition present, in public at least, a comprehensive plan of their own.

That being said, here is, some of what George Bush said in New Orleans, and a quote from his chief of staff, as quoted by Maria Newman in yesterday's New York Times:

"From when I first came here to today, New Orleans is reminding me of the city I used to visit. It's a heck of a place to bring your family.

"For folks around the country who are looking for a great place to have a convention, or a great place to visit, I'd suggest coming here to the great city of New Orleans."

Chief of Staff Andrew Card: "I had to manage his expectations this morning, because while there has been great progress, there continues to be great need - indescribable need."

Again, Bush: "I will tell you, the contrast between when I was last here and today is pretty dramatic.

"There have to be strong levees to encourage investors to New Orleans."

"[New Orleans is] a great place to find some of the greatest food in the world and some wonderful fun."