Friday, December 03, 2004

Even A Theological Computer Scientist Thinks So...

Donald Knuth is another geek hero of mine(see the EWD archive link on the right side below the blogroll for the major one). He's one of the godfathers of computer science in many respects. He spent a long time at Stanford teaching and doing important research. The "theological" part comes from the fact that while taking a break from finishing his opus he took time to write Things A Computer Scientist Rarely Talks About, which is an investigation into his own faith, of a Lutheran variety, if I remember correctly. Just goes to show faith&reason are allowed to exist together. This is not the point of this post however...

I was surfing around his homepage and found this. I like that he prefaces his link to it with the following:

After the depressing outcome of recent elections, I've decided to post my letter to Condolezza Rice written in September 2002.

The post script rings eerily prescient(seeing as he wrote it in 2002).

P.S. This is the second time in my life that I have written a letter to a U.S. government official. The first time was during the Vietnam war.


Now I'm not sure he'd care to be made strange bed-fellows with foul mouthed chain smoking drunks of no discernible character, but I for one am proud to be able to say I'm on his side on this issue. I'd also like to take this opportunity to point out that smart people of all stripes seem to agree. You don't have to be Noam Chomsky to not want this war.