Wednesday, November 03, 2004

Moving To Canada, Buying Nooses and...

ARE YOU EFFIN' KIDDING ME?

Hi everyone. This is your inner abusive parent speaking.

What did you do other than give money to your candidate and vote? Was it like most of my peer group including me, which was absolutely nothing? Then I hate to do it, but I'm gonna quote O'Reilley. Shut up. I don't want to hear it.

I know one person who engaged in get out the vote in a swing state (I raise my cigarette to you, Disappearingink!). I know two people (DC Yuppies in the Hizause!) who volunteered on election day. I know about 20 people personally who are either pissed, depressed or upset, and ready to flee the country or whatever, but like me, mostly sat around and hoped. So I say to those of you in that boat: you and I didn't do enough. Democracy requires active participation above and beyond voting and giving money, and if this election mattered nearly as much as everyone claims it did, there would have been more. I know we all gotta eat and pay the bills. I know there are - ahem - other priorities. I had'em, so did you.

Well, guess what guys, the far right in this country doesn't. It has spent 30 years building a propoganda infrastructure whose purpose is to convince people that their view is the only acceptable view(not a better alternative, but the only acceptable view). The left has never had that, because we had the concensus. We don't anymore.

Take heart! The country is still divided. 51% to 48% is not an effin' mandate, not by any conceivable measure. And there will be other elections, there will be more important ones than this one. There are ground games to fight and lessons to learn. If we really care as much as we say we do, there's far more to do than sit and complain. Me, I'm more inspired by Howard Dean today than I was the whole election cycle. He's got the right idea. Democracy will survive if we force it to. And we can, but it means we have to be less drunk and more pissed off and certainly more active.

Before making my next post to catalog some things that are reasons enough to stick around and work hard, I'll leave you with a quote from an author whom I really can't stand:

The world is a fine place and worth the fighting for and I hate very much to leave it.

And I don't plan to, anytime soon. Hope you don't either.