Friday, September 24, 2004

"I'm Going to Kill Him and Tell God He Died"

When I heard about the following news item, I felt compelled, as a historian, to dust off my Pop-Pop's Masonic Edition of the King James bible and do some fact checkin'. It less took less than ten minutes to find out what I wanted to know. Its true - the bible does - sort of - proscribe "lying with another man" (LEV 19:22). It also gives us some pretty nifty suggestions for curing leprocy by killing a bird and dipping another bird in its blood along with a piece of wood (LEV 14:1-5).

It also proscribes - in no uncertain terms- killing (Deut 5:17 - its one of the Ten Commandments). However, in the topsey-turvey world of George W. Bush's America, anything, including the most fundamental tenets of the Judeo-Christian tradition, can change as long as the change serves the political aims of the right. This now includes the Bible. Apparently, as of last Sunday the biblical scripture against homosexuality trumps the one against killing. If anybody had any doubt about the right's intentions for queer folk, this should clear it up for ya. Could the Focus on the Family Crowd have a better mouthpiece than Jimmy Swaggart, who gave the following sermon last Sunday (David Batstone, sojo.net)? Read all the way to the end, where he thanks God for George Bush. But don't forget to stop at the part where everybody laughs when he says he'd kill a gay man. ARE YOU EFFIN' KIDDING ME?

Swaggart:

I've never seen a man in my life I wanted to marry."


(shouts, applause)


"And I'm gonna be blunt and plain, if one ever looks at me like that I'm going to kill him and tell God he died."


(laughter, applause)


"In case anybody doesn't know God calls it an abomination. It's an abomination! It's an abomination!"


(applause)


..."I'm not knocking the poor homosexual. I'm not. They need salvation just like anybody else.... I'm knocking our pitiful, pathetic lawmakers. And I thank God that President Bush has stated we need a constitutional amendment that states that marriage is between a man and a woman."


(applause)



He's not knocking the "poor homosexual", he just wants to kill him. In ol' Jimmy's defense, he did apologize for his "tongue - in - cheek" phraseology after the press picked this item up two days ago.