Monday, March 21, 2005

The Greatest Show On Earth

I have no opinion regarding the particulars of the Schiavo case. Why? I am not a doctor, nor an ethicist and am honestly of two minds on the subject anyway(as I am on abortion and euthenasia in general). This leads me to have no opinion because I think it's every American's constitutional duty to not have an opinion on something about which they have no understanding. Even further, the world would be a far better place if those who don't have an understanding of a subject would just keep their effin' mouths shut. Evidently Congress feels differently.

There may have been a time when the hallowed halls of Congress were populated by great and wise people of perception and wit - I have my doubts, but it's possible. However, if those days ever existed they are most certainly gone. If politics is theatre then this was the grand finale to what is possibly the worst Andrew Lloyd-Webber musical of all time. Each member of the chorus got a solo filled with empty platitudes and trite melodic content, leaving the audience cold and begging for the thing to end but unwilling to walk out because the ticket price was so high. Despite the lack of content and the excruciating cadences, the house organ for elite liberal opinion conferred the term "eloquent" on the script because most of the performers recited nearly complete sentences.

I've seen performers beaten nearly unconscious for smaller wastes of time and lesser insults to the intelligence of an audience. Why any of these jerks is still on the national stage defies imagination. I want my money back.

For a little more, and some evidence of great hypocrisy, start here.