Wednesday, January 26, 2005

Two Dear John Letters

Dear John,

Although I am quite pleased to see that you and Barbara and Ted showed some good sense in the votes against Condi today, my disappointment with our family leaves me no other choice but to say goodbye. Yes, after so much time, and so much personal investment I'm leaving you. You see, it just isn't working. We talk about improving things, we talk about being stronger, but that's the problem. All we ever do is talk, and I think after all the other disappointments, I just need some time away to think things over. I know Harry stood up and is working to change things, but I just don't think I can do this anymore. But who knows. Maybe after Alberto visits we can get together and see if we have a chance.

Regards,
jay

PS Can you please ask Joe what the hell his problem is? I mean, really. Could he please just shit or get off the pot?

PPS And our very own Barbara, who just won an election didn't vote no either? Darn.


------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear John,

Arthur's right. You are a jerk. An effin' jerk. For a long time I respected you as a straight talker and a real stand up guy, a guy that even though I disagreed with I could say "He's a good guy." Even when my friends said you were full of it, I stood up for you. But you keep letting me down. I know I've said it before, but this time I mean it. You know what they say - "Fool me once shame on you fool me twice won't get fooled again." Or something like that.

So this really is it. Eff you John, it's over. The kind of garbage you dish out only hurts worse when if comes from someone who one once respected. It would have been better if you'd just acted like Rick from the get go. I really thought you were above engaging in half witted armchair psychology. It's not even cleverly dismissive. It's just rude, disrespectful, and totally beneath the standards to which I thought you held yourself. So you really are full of it. And to think I thought you understood why courage mattered.

Shove it,
jay