Sunday, August 27, 2006

Anniversary

Tomorrow is the big one year mark. The year of Katrina as some call it. For me, this past year has been one in which I have felt a lot of frustration, confusion, and enough anger to float a battleship. Back in September of last year, it seemed like the entire nation was shocked and angered at what was happening there, and rightfully so. For those of us who didn’t live through Katrina and Rita and Wilma in some direct way, it seems easy, in my opinion, to be angry. Anger allows us to focus our emotions on the culprit – the person or entity we believe is responsible for the harm caused. And its certainly easy to blame, punish, and then move on. That seems to be the modus operandi of the politicians we vote for.

Strangely, I haven’t felt a deep sense of grievance yet.

For me, tomorrow is a time to grieve, not to blame. I feel a profound sense of sadness that we let Katrina happen.