Thursday, July 14, 2005

This Is All Just Getting So Dumb

Maybe I'm committing a Howler but...Look, I would be more than happy to see Rove go down, but I don't think the Senate should be used to go after him. It's a waste of my money on political infighting, it's counter productive and it leads directly to garbage like this. Before you say "But they do it all the time and we need to fight back!1!1!1!!1!" take note it's not a tactic that'll work for the party in the minority, and it's not effective fighting back. Progressives ought to be showing America that we are the responsible sensible good-government team. Introducing legislation geared at targeting a political operative is not responsible, sensible or good government. Remember what happened when they used the legislature to attack Clinton - they lost it.

If one wants to go on the attack, low-blow style, there's an opportunity coming in the 2006 mid-terms.

Update for clarification: When I say "it's not effective fighting back", I did in fact committ a Howler. I wasn't saying "it's not effective TO fight back when you're the minority" I was saying "This kind of politics isn't an effective form of fighting back".

Fair And Balanced Update: JDNOF offers gentle corrections in comments, and David Corn thinks it was a brilliant ploy.